Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Moments in bad parenting, circa 2004

While going through some old journal entries of mine, I found this one from 2004. My son is probably SCARRED FOR LIFE from this little incident. Enjoy.

*********
Imagine. Your 7 year old firmly believes in the tooth fairy and has no doubt that the Easter Bunny and Santa Claus play rounds of golf together on the off-season. He loses his tooth and places it under his pillow. He wakes up the next morning and flips his pillow over with much anticipation only to find...his tooth is still there. So you tell him the tooth fairy must be on vacation and to try again the next night. He does. He wakes up the next morning and flips his pillow over with even greater anticipation, only to find...his tooth is still there. At that point, he bursts into tears and gives an anguished cry, "Did I do something bad?"

And all I can say in my own defense is…whoops. What kind of MONSTER am I?! I just forgot! I had a sinus headache so I took some Sudafed and passed out! Do you think I should tell the heart-sick 7 year old that the tooth fairy had a sinus headache and couldn't make it? Somehow I don't think he'd believe it. He's truly disturbed by this unbelievable tragedy. A tragedy that I created. HOW COULD I LET THIS HAPPEN?

Famine, drought, war - at this moment, they all pale in comparison to this very very terrible thing that has happened in my own house. OH THE HUMANITY!

Sigh. WHERE did I put that darned parenting handbook? Oh. I forgot. THEY DIDN'T F*CKING GIVE ME ONE!

*&%!

No comments: